Monday, June 2, 2008

Monday Thoughts

A derecho swept across northern Kansas to southwest Missouri today. Derechoes are notoriously known for the wind damage they produce, but this particular derecho produced significant hail in addition to damaging winds. In fact, 4.25" hail was reported near Manhattan and Waverly, KS this morning. 4.25" hail is just slightly smaller than a softball!

I was fortunate enough to capture the image below at sunset last evening. After we got back to Starkville, a long-lived MCS moved through and produced gusty winds and minor tree damage in town. After its exit, it made for a picturesque sunset.


The deepening western trough kicks out into the Plains on Thursday, and pattern recognition certainly suggests the potential for a significant severe weather outbreak. Copious moisture will surge northward Wednesday evening and Thursday. Meanwhile, an energetic upper-air system will spread across the warm sector, and will create an environment highly supportive of supercells. More specific details tomorrow.

4 comments:

diannanicole said...

thats gorgeous :) have you ever heard this? "...weather-lovers are part scientist, part poet. they rejoice in the forms and colors that glorify the weather. they delight in extremes." [t. morris longstreth]

Justyn Jackson said...

Interesting. I never considered myself a poet, but that statement certainly fits me -- especially the extremes part! :)

Ryan Aylward said...

Justyn, are you planning on heading out to the plains to chase? Sure looks good the next few days. I don't think I can this time, however.

Justyn Jackson said...

Sadly, no. I kind of lost motivation to go as weird as that sounds. I guess I got too comfy at home! Too bad you can't go either. It looks good in Kansas!