Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow Day

We managed to dodge any snow overnight as the precipitation above the surface was just not heavy enough to cause evaporative cooling. Don't let that fool you because it will snow today, and in fact, it should begin by 9:00 a.m. It's going to take a little work for the snow to stick because the current temperature is 37. Granted, when the snow does begin to fall, the temperature will drop. However, the snow may not be heavy enough to drop the temperature below freezing; I will be optimistic and forecast that we reach 32 around 11 a.m. To remain consistent, I'm not going to change my totals (see my post from last night for a map) as I still expect there to be more snow in the southern part of the county than the northern part. Some roads could be slick, particularly north and south of Tuscaloosa. Even in Tuscaloosa and Northport, some bridges could become slick, so use caution if you'll be on the roads today. The main adjustment to my forecast is that the snow will likely stick around through 5 p.m. as the back edge of the precipitation shield is lingering across southern Arkansas. I actually think we'll see some clearing skies after 8 p.m., which will allow temperatures to get rather cold tonight. Lows tomorrow morning will be near 24. Look for brief updates throughout the day.

No comments: