Friday, August 15, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay Develops

Aircraft data indicates that Tropical Storm Fay has officially developed. The newest suite of model guidance has again shifted the track a little more left. This is more in line with my previous thinking, but I'm worried I may have to shift my track even further left given the current progression of Fay.



This brings up an interesting dilemma. South Florida is very narrow from east to west (~50 miles). Given the expected motion of Fay as it approaches Florida, even a small shift of the track to the west could mean a landfall in the northern Gulf of Mexico (as suggested by the 12Z GFDL). If this scenario occurs, it could mean BIG problems for the northern Gulf Coast. Instead of a Category 1 hurricane in South Florida, we could be dealing with a potentially devastating Category 4 hurricane in the Florida Panhandle.

I want to watch the progression of Fay this evening before I shift my track a little more left. Unfortunately, I get a sinking feeling as Fay continues to move west. The more Fay moves to the left, the greater the potential for a disaster.

3 comments:

LDCT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LDCT said...

I agree 100%... I don't like the look of this at all... If the GFDL's next few runs keep it near the Florida Panhadle (GULF), then I truly worry for the people of the Gulf Coast from about Pensacola to New Orleans... You know the GFS will still be too far right and what sucks is Fay shifting 60-70 miles south correlates to hundreds of miles west for the US... I think we will know for sure by about this time tomorrow...

Justyn Jackson said...

I agree with you too. I'm going wait until I see if Fay goes south of Cuba or goes over Eastern Cuba before I change my forecast. If it stays south of Cuba...not good!